You are a cautious driver who obeys the speed limit, watches out for pedestrians and bicyclists, and yields to aggressive drivers rather than provoking them. That’s why your recent accident was such a shock. The other driver came out of nowhere, and the collision left you confused and seriously injured. When bad things happen to good drivers, the family law firm of Hite & Stone is here to stand up for victims. Our attorneys are particularly proud to represent children who have been injured in motor vehicle crashes. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will fight to get you the compensation you are owed by the at-fault driver so you can get on the road to recovery.
Causes of South Carolina Car Accidents
If everyone obeyed traffic laws and respected the rights of other drivers, fewer people would be injured and killed on our roads every day. The fact is, drivers have a duty to operate their vehicle according to the law and to take precautions to protect the safety of others on the road. When they breach these duties, they can and should be held accountable for the results. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the leading cause of accidental death and injury to children are transportation injuries, including car crashes, pedestrian accidents, and bicycle collisions. Some ways drivers cause accidents in South Carolina include the following:
- Speeding. Driving at unsafe speeds is a leading cause of traffic fatalities, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). When drivers exceed the speed limit, they are less able to control their cars to avoid other vehicles and pedestrians.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Mind-altering substances such as alcohol, marijuana, and other drugs reduce a driver’s decision-making abilities and reaction times. The leading cause of traffic deaths according to NHTSA, impaired driving can not only lead to criminal charges for the driver, but to significant compensation awards to victims as well.
- Driving while distracted. Using a cell phone, interacting with passengers, eating and drinking, or adjusting the climate, GPS, or audio settings while driving all distract from the task at hand and often lead to crashes. If the driver who caused your crash was engaged in these activities, he should bear full responsibility for the accident.
- Ignoring traffic signs or signals. Running a red light or stop sign, failing to yield, not using turn signals, and speeding through yellow lights can all lead to serious accidents. When the other driver has broken a traffic law, his liability for a crash is clear.
- Driving recklessly. In South Carolina, reckless driving is defined as driving in a way that shows “a willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.” This can include aggressive driving, road rage, driving 20 mph over the speed limit, or any other action a police officer decides is dangerous. Reckless drivers are a frequent cause of injury crashes.
When the driver responsible for your crash is arrested or ticketed at the scene, that provides you with valuable evidence to prove his liability. However, even if the driver is not cited, his liability can be proven by an experienced car accident attorney. At Hite & Stone, we will investigate and gather the evidence necessary to build a strong case for your fair compensation.
Other Causes of Car Crashes
While less common, there are cases where a serious accident was not caused by another driver but by a manufacturing or design flaw with the vehicle or by unsafe road conditions. These can be very complicated cases as the liable party is a major manufacturer or municipality, but we do not shrink away from such cases. If you were injured by corporate or civic carelessness, trust your case to our experienced attorneys.
Our Family Law Firm Looks Out for Ordinary People
Our highly rated law firm has a track record of success in securing the best possible outcome for victims of car accidents. We are family and we treat you like family, from your first call through the conclusion of your case. You can trust that our attorneys and legal staff will be here to answer your questions as we fight to get you or your child the compensation you need and deserve following a car accident. Call or fill out the form on this page to connect with us today. We look forward to hearing your story and helping you recover.