Our Premises Liability Frequently Asked Questions
- Page 1
What are the most common slip and fall injuries?
Unfortunately, many people are injured or killed in slip and fall accidents every year, and the dangers of one of these preventable accidents are everywhere. Failing to clean up spills, repair worn carpet or flooring, or repair parking lot cracks and potholes are just some of the ways that business and property owners create unsafe conditions that lead to slip and fall accidents. If you suffered injuries in a fall due to negligence, you may be able to hold the business or property owner responsible for compensating you for your injuries—with the help of an experienced personal injury attorney.
Common Injuries That You Could Suffer in a Slip and Fall Accident
Many people are under the misconception that slip and fall accidents are not that serious—until one happens to them. However, the reality is that slip and fall victims suffer debilitating injuries that can require months or longer of medical treatments before they recover—if that is even possible. Some of the most common injuries victims suffer include:
- Head injuries. A victim could suffer a concussion, skull fracture, hemorrhage, or traumatic brain injury (TBI) if his head hits a hard floor or other surface in a fall. A TBI is probably the most serious brain injury caused by these accidents. It can cause devastating permanent changes to a person’s hearing, vision, mobility, reasoning, emotions, memory, and much more. People who suffer with a TBI may not be able to return to work, and even day-to-day activities may be challenging without assistance.
- Hip fractures. A victim who suffers a hip fracture in a fall may need surgery and a lengthy rehabilitation period to recover from his injury. When the victim is elderly, the risk is greater that he will not make a full recovery and that he will suffer complications—possibly resulting in his death.
- Back and spinal cord injuries. If the spinal cord is injured, a victim could suffer partial or complete paralysis and need life-long medical care and assistance with his basic daily needs. Broken vertebrae, slipped or herniated disks, or muscle or tendon strains and tears can cause a victim to suffer with chronic pain and limitations in movement while he undergoes surgery, physical therapy, and other treatments for his injuries.
- Shoulder injuries. A common shoulder injury caused in a slip and fall accident is a shoulder dislocation, which is also known as a brachial plexus injury. The brachial plexus are the nerves that connect the spinal cord to a person’s shoulder, arm, and hand. Surgery and physical therapy are often required to treat this very painful injury.
- Sprains, tears, and fractures. A person can suffer muscle and tendon tears and sprains in his knee, ankle, wrist, or other body parts that can cause pain and limitations of movement during the months or longer of medical care. Fractures are also common, and serious ones may require multiple surgeries to repair the damage.
Let Us Help You Fight for the Compensation That You Deserve
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering from the negligent business or property owner. Let our experienced slip and fall attorneys take over the burden of filing your claim and negotiating the settlement that you are entitled to so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries. We are a family-owned firm that takes pride in putting our client’s interests first. To learn how we can help you, call our office today.